Monday, January 16, 2006

ceci n'est pas une pipe

so, my roomie priya is going to mauritania and morocco for work in february, and now she's learning french via this awesome program she downloaded, and i'm going to learn along with her. it's conversation-based - so it's based entirely on speech rather than writing. i think this will be good for me, because in my four years of spanish in high school, we spent most of our time learning rules of spelling and where to put the accent marks - so now my reading comprehension is pretty good but i can't hold even the most basic of conversations.

so anyway, i know how to say a bunch of stuff in french but i don't know how to spell any of it. i just ordered a french primer from amazon though, so hopefully i'll know how to spell soon.

i feel like 2006 will be the year of self-improvement. i'm tired of hating my job, and of not using my brain. i'm tired of feeling like i'm stuck. this year, i'm learning french, and applying to grad schools. and after my niece is born, i'm moving midwest-ward to be closer to my family, because being away from them is harder than i ever thought it would be.

i feel good.

6 Comments:

At 2:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Homeward bound(!)

 
At 7:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, learning vulgarities already, are we!

Now I have another reason to want to know where I'm going to grad school next...so I can spend six months convincing you to go there. Especially if it's in our sweet Midwestern homeland :-)

 
At 10:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go with French, Stef! That's what I took in high school.

Also, your goal of moving back to the Midwest is a good one. Take it from someone who tried New Orleans for two months: the Midwest kicks the shit out of lots of places.

 
At 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Midwest is ok but it still has tornadoes. I'm convinced that although Texas has many faults: natural disasters are not one of them. In mid-Texas (where all the cool people are anyways): no tornadoes, no hurricanes, no snow. It's idyllic really.

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger stefanie said...

look out, sister. i'm applying to UT-austin next year. mid-texas, here i come!

 
At 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOoooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!
I'm so excited and I just can't hide it!! Bring it on!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

f