Wednesday, August 24, 2005

hi, baby mo.

so, my brother and his wife just found out they're having a baby. my brother! my brother, who used to trick me into stopping crying (hence keeping himself out of trouble) by demanding, "hey, would superwoman cry? would barbie cry?" my brother, who used to burn with fury when his sports-inept and video-game-inept little sister accidentally learned how to kick his ass at Madden 95 (shotgun formation, quarterback waggle (aikman to novacek), gain of 10, first down). they're letting this guy have a baby? geez.

of course, i'm kidding. my brother's going to be an unbelievably great dad. the only foreseeable problem with my brother's impending fatherhood is that my sister-in-law's due date falls alarmingly close to march madness - and i think you all know how my family feels about march madness.

now, i, true to my evolutionary predisposition, am obsessed with babies. i mean, really. obsessed. i decided to call him/her "baby mo," shortened from "mo cuishle" (million dollar baby) and it's also a clever acronym, i realized after assigning this name, for "matt's offspring." (hey, i'm nothing if not an overthinker.)

so, to baby mo: even though i only found out about you two days ago, and even though i think you probably look like this right now:

you are the coolest person i know. i hope that if you are a girl, my brother names you emma, and if you are a boy, he names you henry but calls you hank. or jack would be good too.

and matt, know this: boy or girl, my first duty as aunt stef will be to teach this child the quarterback waggle.

7 Comments:

At 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woo! Congrats on that to your fam! Also, I'm sure that your brother's genes have been selected over the last few generations to prevent babies being born around March Madness ;)

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger stefanie said...

let's hope so!

 
At 5:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i second that the baby should be called emma (but short for emmaline). if i have a girl, i think that will be her name. not really sure why.

congrats!

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger ruth said...

emma has been in the top 10 most common girls' names for the past 5 years. Do you really want to do that to a child?
Also, I am pretty sure the length of time corresponds to when Rachel had her baby on friends.

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger ruth said...

Also, congratulations on your impending aunthood!

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger stefanie said...

ew! this has nothing to do with rachel on friends! emma has always shared the title of my favorite name with paige, but unfortunately the name paige is strictly off-limits for the turner family. (give it a minute.)

 
At 10:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a day to celebrate!

Hank and Jack are awesome names. Also awesome are these:

(for a boy):

Maddox
Mordecai
Johnny

(for a girl):

LuLu
Evangeline
Perceline

You should suggest these names to your bro - he will thank me(!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

f