Monday, November 28, 2005

because you all love the baby news...

so, apparently my brother and sister-in-law are embroiled in the epic battle of "which way will we spell katelyn/kaitlyn/caitlyn/caitlin? and if we spell it caitlin, can we call her catie? will anyone ever spell that properly?"

my brother is in the "katie with a k" camp, based on a principle he refers to as "ending the cycle of pain." you see, i'm not the only one in my family with a nontraditionally spelled name. my brother's name is mathew, with only one t. so, both of us, for our entire lives, have introduced ourselves as "stefanie with an f" or "mathew, with only one t" and damn, it gets tiring, because most of the time people don't bother to ask. so, since katelyn is the most common spelling of the name, and it's probably the way that people will write the name if they don't ask, he wants to make her life simple. my sister in law should agree with this, since her name is chelle, pronounced "shelly." yeah, i know.

in situations like this, i feel conflicted, because i want to agree with my sister-in-law because she's a woman, and my brother is usually wrong. but, as stefanie with an f, i have to go with my brother on this one. i don't know how someone with name afflictions like ours could in good conscience commit a child to a lifetime of introducing herself as "catie with a c. no, with a c. no, C-A-T-I-E."

also, if her name is katie turner, then her name is katie, and her initials are KT. and that's cute.

of course, my ultimate preference is for them to name her emma.

thoughts?

9 Comments:

At 12:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why don't they just avoid the whole problem and give her a name that's less popular that has only one common spelling?

...like Emma. Or Fabolous.

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger stefanie said...

well, my sister-in-law suggested emma, but spelled "immuh."

and i totally have dibs on fabolous. don't even think about it!

 
At 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emma is a good name. I have a cousin Emma who has flaming red hair and reads books constantly.

I really like the name Lily.

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger stefanie said...

lily is my FAVORITE. i'm keeping that one for my own kids. yep. lily and fabolous.

 
At 12:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about something akin to Emmalyn, best of both worlds :-)

Or just put an "n" on the end of "Emily"! I personally think that would rock.

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger ruth said...

I work with someone named Emmalee and everytime I see her name written, I want to puke.
Ruth's Rules for Naming Children and Other Creatures:
1) Most typical or correct spelling.
2) Do not force the child to be one of 50 of the same name in her kindergarten class.
3) A bad name has no nicknames associated with it.

 
At 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always thought the most common way to spell it was Caitlyn, at least that's how every one I knew spelled it.

This guy in my seminar has a niece named Ellora. I think it's cute and you can be Elle or Ellie for short. Though then she could get the whole E.T. nickname going from her initials.

Speaking of which, the Katie - K.T. thing is supercute!

And my name is spelled weird and I LOVE it and always have!

 
At 4:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once met a girl who spelled her name "robin", specifically with a lowercase "r". Her brother's name was similarly stupid, I know I'm getting it wrong but it was like "Mik", with a line over the "i" to make it long. This was how they legally spelled their names. Bunch of idiots.

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger ruth said...

yeah, that is so stupid. imagine having to explain at least once a day how your parents are half-wits. i bet robin and Mik eventually estrange themselves from their parents.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

f